Ten things from the weekend gone by that inspired me with some much needed brain feed.
1. Frieze, London and the autumn that comes with it… both inside and outside.
2. Robert Mapplethorpe with a work called ‘Feet’
3. Alexandre da Cunha – a Brazilian born artist with Portrait, 2009 that might soon be the first work of art I buy.
4. The work of Dirk Bell and Thomas Bayrle that I saw at the Gavin Brown’s enterprise booth at Frieze. Dirk’s is the work that is cleverly titled evoLove and Thomas’ is the awesome wallpaper that it comes without, as also the blue and white carpets spread through the fair.
5. The wondrous Frieze blur that it all becomes after the ‘too much art’.
6. The reflections you choose or are forced to see in much that is on display….
7. Hennesy Youngman playing out loud at Frieze is a big deal in my book. Lovvved it.
8. And because art isn’t everything, the good friends, food and sunshine that make for happy weekends.
9. And all things Serpentine that never fail to make me smile – Pavilions, rivers, pizzas, ducks, Vikram Seth, memory marathons…
10. And Ragnar Kjartansson who blew me away at the Serpentine Memory Marathon. A performance artist, musician, poet and everything sublime, he performed a piece titled Smoke where he narrated intimate and honest details of all his lovers, past and present. If you ever get to see him perform, don’t ever miss out. No YouTube video or transcript could ever capture his performance that day, or the mood of the crowd….but if there ever was an art style standing ovation, he got it.